Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Getting Ready for Halloween

T has really enjoyed Halloween this year. We pulled out the Spookytown decorations, carved pumpkins, read numerous books about ghosts, witches, and goblins, and even attended a "trunk or treat" last Friday with T's cousins. T is so excited to put on his ghost costume and take his "candy purse" trick or treating tonight. We don't usually have much junk food around, so he's been binging on "cany" for almost a week now and he's especially fond of kit-kats. I'm so sorry he apparently inherited my sweet tooth, but I'm grateful he also inherited my love of books. Our current favorite Halloween stories are listed here, and we read these and several others almost every day.
  • Goodnight Goon
  • Room on the Broom
  • Ten Little Goblins
Goodnight Goon is a parody of Goodnight Moon. We've added our own sound effects to both books and I love it when T fills them in when I forget and when he associates them with pictures and objects outside of the books. Room on the Broom is a clever original story in rhyme that I never get tired of. Ten Little Goblins is a parody on Over in the Meadow. It's so much fun to sing and with its clever lyrics and cute illustrations ...
Over in the forest
Where the trees hide the sun
Lived a big mommy monster
And her little monster one.
"Scare!" said the mommy;
"I scare," said the one.
So he scared and he scampered
Where the trees hide the sun.
We visited the Plumper Pumpkin Patch on October 13th and acquired a plethora of pumpkins. T and The Scoot also launched some tiny pumpkins with big sling shots. We also watched others shoot tiny pumpkins out of an air cannon into a big field.

T waits for a pony ride. When his turn came around he didn't take it because he wanted the brown pony that the other little girl had already taken and he wouldn't ride on the white one. We used the pony ride tickets to slingshot pumpkins instead.
T searches for the perfect pumpkin




Monday night we carved the pumpkins that each of us picked at the Plumper Pumpkin Patch. The Scoot did some online research ahead of time and carved and awesome Jack the Pumpkin King from Nightmare Before Christmas. I barehanded my medium sized pumpkin and helped T carve his initials in his tiny one after he had sufficiently poked it full of holes with a mechanical pencil while The Scoot and I carved.

T and The Scoot in action

The family pumpkin trio

The Scoot's Pumpkin Jack
Mine! This was loosely anime inspired
T's ... That's supposed to be a "TM," but the tiny pumpkin was very thin and I overshot my cut mark on the second half of the "M" so now it looks like a wonky "N"


Speaking of pumpkins ... I got sugar pie pumpkins in my CSA this fall and have enjoyed experimenting with tasty pumpkin recipes including curry pumpkin soup, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and amazing pumpkin ginger bread made with home made pumpkin puree ... Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment